www.kksbestcakes.com

All Occasion Cakes Designed To Complement Any Celebration

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My name is Kay Edenfield. I bake and decorate cakes. I recently “officially” opened my cake shop. I do not have a storefront location, but I am a fully licensed bakery in the state of Texas. I call my shop KK’s Best Cakes because my nieces and nephews always tell me “Aunt KK, you make the best cakes!”
Experienced Helps
I took a few culinary classes in college, but did not get my degree. I have taken several decorating classes over the years, and recently completed the three courses for the PME Masters Certificate. I call these courses “cake boot camp”. I learned a lot, and it was a lot of hard work to complete. I still have to take my “final”, though, and will be doing that soon. I started decorating cakes in Jr. college, and made cakes for friends and family. I quit back then because it got to be that baking and decorating was all that I was doing. My week nights and weekends were taking up with cake making and it burned me out. I still made the occasional cake, but mostly just for fun.
A couple of years ago, I decided to take a refresher course and a fondant course, because there was so much new stuff going on in the cake world. I got hooked all over again, but this time I wanted to do it as a legitimate business, so KKs Best Cakes was born. I had my brother build me a kitchen next to my house and a few more dollars invested in equipment and I was in business. Only one thing was missing.
Cake Orders
Baking cakes, decorating cakes, and the business side of cake is all hard work. I think people who don’t do cake, don’t realize how much work and effort you have to put into the whole process. I get people who think my cakes cost too much, but I think I don’t charge nearly enough. I keep my prices on the low side anyway, so I know they are already getting a deal. I am still making cakes for friends and family, but I need to make cakes for the Public if I want to stay in business. So…this blog is my take on the journey to getting my business to be successful. I hope you follow along with me.
Where to Find KKs Best Cakes online
My niece Aimee is setting me up with this blog. My nephew James has made me a web page www.kksbestcakes.com, and I am on Weddingwire, Wedspace.com, Bride.com-all sites for brides looking for Wedding cakes, and on other social networks like Facebook and Cakeswebake.

Last year
I have made a lot of cake this past year, but no profit. I have spent a lot of time and money, but I consider that to be practice and an investment. I can see how much my cakes have improved in taste and technique. So far, my reward is gaining more experience with the cakes I make and while, the more experience I gain is valuable in itself, I need to pay some bills. My business needs to be more lucrative, and I hope you will follow along with me as I discover the ways I hope to make a profit this year doing something fun for me and deliciously tasty for you.

2 comments:

  1. Your cakes are the best! Now go make some profit, woman! I love you and I'm so happy that you are finally going to be doing something love have a passion for! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one of those fortunate people who already knows what she wants to do with her life. It's good to hear you are surrounding yourself with your relatives who can help you with those things you don't know so much about. Keep surrounding yourself with those types of people, sign up for things (you know I'm still waiting to see you on one of those cake making reality shows). Just don't get discouraged and don't give away your product. Those days are over. charge what you're worth and people will pay because you've established who you are already.

    ReplyDelete