www.kksbestcakes.com

All Occasion Cakes Designed To Complement Any Celebration

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Follow My Steps!

First thing…
I Joined the Chamber of Commerce

I joined our local Chamber of Commerce -The Dayton Chamber of Commerce. They are an organization that helps the local business community. We had a ribbon cutting on March 11th. I had family and friends, Chamber members and Ambassadors who all came to the event. Woo Hoo! There were a whole slew of people who came out to wish me luck. There was a reporter/photographer who interviewed me and took my picture and he wrote a really cool article about me in the Dayton newspaper (link). The next day I delivered a cake for a Babies First birthday party, and one of the guys there asked how my ribbon cutting went. He heard about it on the radio. How cool is that? I have had several phone calls asking about cakes that stemmed directly from this event, and even have a few cake and cupcake orders. Pam of “Gigi’s Linens” is the person who encouraged me to join, so Thanks Pam! This step has already proven to be a great start on my path to a successful bakery.


My next “Big Event”
The Lake Houston Bridal Show

I found out about this event from Weddingwire. I decided the investment was worth it if I could get some Brides interested. My niece Aimee suggested I go with bright colors, so we used Pink and Orange. She crafted some fantastic decorations; I baked some umm umm good mini cupcakes. My sister Glenda came along to help out and smooze with us. We had a great time, talked to a bunch of interested Brides and Grooms and their Mamas. I also met other vendors there. I’m giving a shout out to “Memories in the Spotlight” who took our picture just for fun! This was a good day! I just answered and email from a Bride I met at the show. This was a really good stepping stone to help pave the way for my successful bakery.

Connecting with my Community
Participation and Networking

Obviously, people need to know who I am if I want them to order cakes from me, so, again obviously, I need to be seen, I need to talk to people, and I need to participate in community events.
The Dayton Chamber of Commerce host Dayton Ole Tyme Days Festival each year, and have asked for volunteers to be judges in the cooking contests. I have volunteered to be a judge in the baking cook off.
We had to judge on appearance and taste. Oh My! I have to say it was very interesting, and some people can be very creative. There were some really great entries, they tasted good and looked good too. But…my one word of advice for future entries…you might want to rethink the chocolate pudding and coolwhip concoctions…I’m just sayin…

Oh Oh OH! Side track…
I just had my Health Inspection! I was scared to death, but I don’t know why. It went great. I met with Kathleen, who is my new best buddy! She came in and asked a bunch of questions, took some temperatures, looked at everything. But, best of all, she gave me some great advice. She came in with the intention to help and educate me, which I really appreciated. She explained what she was doing and the reasons why. It was a good experience. The public can be sure they are safe from me-No germs in my shop!
What’s Next?

I think I will plan a Cake Tasting Event next, and Invite all the Brides and Grooms I met, plus some new ones. I’ll get back to you with more details soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment